Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mindless Reading

Hello, all!

So, today is the second-to-last day of daily blogging! And I really did nothing of interest today. I wen to the library and re-shelved books for a while (volunteering is FUN.), and then I wandered down to the YA section to see if they had any of the books I've been wanting to read.

After yesterday, I was just thinking too much about too many things, which seems to be the norm for this month, so I purposefully sought out books by authors I like and some of the silly, mindless chick-lit that I gravitate towards when I am reading with the express purpose of NOT thinking too hard.

I hate to be a stereotypical teenage girl here, but... it's like Chick Flicks. A shameful secret, but I do kind of adore the sensation of engrossing myself in a cutesy-vaguely-romantic story, even if the writing is awful. Also, I'm completely okay with books that I can read quickly and not have to dwell on for long after. It's exhausting to have to analyze everything in a book, sometimes.

So today I picked up The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (I keep seeing it at the used bookstore that I love, but I didn't think it was worth spending money on...) and Kiss & Blog by Alyson Noel (I've read another of her books before, and I wondered if this was any better. And I admit, I kind of love books that have a main character that blogs, because I wonder if I can relate.) I got exactly what I bargained for: crappy teen romances with little substance. Kiss and Blog was particularly poorly-written and frustrating, and I'll probably be reviewing it on Goodreads later.

I don't feel bad about wasting several hours of my day on these books. It's nice to read for fun. But at the same time, some of the issues I found in the books are ones that rile up the feminist part of me and I wonder about the quality of literature and of female characters, and even the validity of "chick lit". What an awful name, too-- chick lit-- as though it's somehow inferior to other literature. (Though in this case, it was... I mean...)

I'll be participating in an FFB (Feminist Fashion Bloggers) event in a few days, so look for that. But I think that I could definitely write about Chick Lit and female protagonists sometime, but since today is my day of mindless reading, I am not going to go into a rant that requires actual brain power.

What do you do when you don't WANT to think? Do you have any shameful pleasures that you usually don't share?
(Also, if you know what goodreads is, you are AWESOME.)

A demain!
-Aly

2 comments:

  1. Goodreads is like Shelfari, right?

    I read a book about a teen blogger called Searfina67 (*urgently needs life*). I think the entire book is blog posts and the comments on them. And they're British, so there's random Doctor Who references without being cult-y. As in she'll be describing her crush as looking like "that totally shaggable guy on Doctor Who" and said crush will write in a comment **shows up in TARDIS**

    Also, I'll miss you when NaBloPoMo is over. I've been looking forward to your posts each day. :)
    The book itself was less than awesome, but it wasn't unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh. I love E. Lockhart. I think she's in the same group of writers as Maureen Johnson and John Green. Her book The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks is hilarious. And so is Fly on the Wall. You wouldn't think so, but they are. I think John mentions her book Frankie Landau-Banks in one of his video.
    So yeah. The other one sounds bad though haha.
    Shameless pleasures...
    Gossip Girl?
    *cringes and runs into a corner*

    ReplyDelete